ABOUT THE THE LONGER YARD:
The Longer Yard tour is a half-day experience, Dharavi has an active informal economy in which numerous household enterprises employ many of the slum residents, leather, textiles, and pottery products are among the goods made inside Dharavi. Most of these things are created innovatively, in very small spaces!
Before the visit to the Dharavi slum, we pass through Red Light Area (Kamathipura) & Dhobi Gath (Open Air Laundry)
>Kamathipura (also spelled Kamthipura) is Mumbai’s oldest and Asia’s second-largest Red-Light District. It was first settled after 1795 with the construction of causeways that connected the erstwhile seven islands of Bombay. Initially known as Lal Bazaar, it got its name from the Kamathis (workers) of other areas of the country, who were laborers on construction sites. Due to the tough police crackdown, in the late 1990s with the rise of AIDS and the government’s redevelopment policy that helped sex workers to move out of the profession and subsequently out of Kamathipura, the number of sex workers in the area has dwindled.
In 1992, the Bombay Municipal Corporation (BMC) recorded there were 50,000 sex workers here which was reduced to 1,600 in 2009, with many sex workers migrating to other areas in Maharashtra and real estate developers taking over the high-priced real estate.
>Dhobi Ghat (Mahalaxmi Dhobi Ghat) is a well-known open-air laundromat in Mumbai, India. The washers, locally known as Dhobis, work in the open to wash the clothes from Mumbai’s hotels and hospitals. There are rows of open-air concrete wash pens, each fitted with its own flogging stone. Called the world’s largest outdoor laundry, Dhobi Ghat is a very popular attraction among foreign tourists.
The word Dhobi Ghat is used all over India to refer to any place where many washers are present. It is located next to Mahalaxmi railway station on the Western Railway’s Saat Rasta roundabout. It can be easily seen from the flyover bridge of Mahalaxmi station.
In 2013, World Records India and World Amazing Records honored World Record Certificate to Dhobi Kalyan.
- Kamathipura ( Red-Light Area )
- Dhobi Ghat ( Open Air Laundry )
- A place where Slumdog Millionaire was shot
- Leather Industries
- Making of soap
- Color Dye
- Small Alley
- Schools & Hospitals
- Houses in Slum
- Plastic Recycling
- Muslim people making a shrine for Hindus
- Recycling of veg oil can
- The most interesting thing is, guide himself lives in slums
- Slum market
- Group Tour: INR 1,800/- Rupees per person. (minimum 2 people for Booking) You will be accompanied by up to four other travelers, Transport will be by local Train & Taxi
- Private Tour: INR 3,000/- Rupees Rupees per person. Transport will be by local Train & Taxi
- Operates every day
- Duration: 4-5 hours
- Morning Tour: 10:00 AM
- Afternoon Tour: 2:00 PM
>MEETING LOCATION: For Group Tour
- Third Wave Cafe Shop is Just opposite Mahim west Railway station.
- Tip Road, Unit no.58, Ground floor Ram Mahal Building, Senapathi, Senapati Bapat Marg, Station, Mahim, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400016 (Google Map) https://goo.gl/maps/qet1YSS94CUeJ8eb8
- Entrance fees to all site attractions
- Cultured, professional, highly qualified, and knowledgeable Guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off for Private Tour
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle for Private Tour
CLICK FOR BOOKINGS!!
The Longer Yard Tour Review
> For any Further Queries please connect with us and we shall be glad to assist You.
Contact us at +91 900413 5215