Recommended by Nigella Lawson & Nat Geo Traveller!
Experience The Mumbai by Dawn Tour a side of Mumbai that few visitors get the chance to see with this early-morning tour of the city. You’ll wake up early in time to see a fish auction, a flower market, and a vegetable market set up all along both sides of a bridge, all before most people even crawl out of bed!
Have you ever thought about where your food comes from or how that newspaper reaches your hotel room?
This 4-hour tour gives you an insight into how trade works in Mumbai and the city’s life that begins at dawn. The emphasis on fresh food in Mumbai makes mornings so important in terms of trade.
Drive to different marketplaces to see the business traders go about their daily routines. Your first interaction will be with a newspaper vendor and then you walk across the street to the fruit, flowers, and vegetable wholesalers who are surrounded by men and women bargaining for fresh supplies for the day ahead.
If you are still sleepy – the next stop is bound to wake you up, the smell of fish! The Sassoon docks are an incredible experience. It is the city’s first wet dock and the only one open to the public. You will also take a small distance train ride and at the end of the tour, you will attend Morning Prayer in one of the famous before being dropped back off at your accommodation.
1. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: Possibly the most architecturally stunning building in India, Victoria Terminus Railway Station, now CST, sees a record of six hundred and sixty thousand footfalls daily, making it the busiest station in Mumbai. At dawn, the CST station also serves as the city’s largest newspaper sorting area.
2. Sassoon Dock: Travelers understand the life of the Koli fisherfolk (the original inhabitants of Mumbai) and also witness the arrival and grading of 50 tonnes of fish. They also witness a one-of-its-kind fish auction of the famous Bombay Duck.
3. Dadar Market: Witness the early morning color and fragrance of this market.
4. Dhobi Ghat: Every day, thousands of dhobis (washermen) scrub, flog, wash, and bleach clothes on rows of open concrete wash pens. More than 7000 dhobis wash more than 1 lakh clothes every single day. This includes everything from hotel and hospital linens to clothes from neighborhood laundries.
- Private Tour: INR 8,000/- You can bring a maximum of five people on your private tour. (For larger groups, please get in touch)
- Private Tour Travellers will be picked up and dropped off at their Hotel.
- Operates every day
- Duration: 4 Hours
- Start Time: Flexible – Suggested at 5:00 AM
- End Time: Flexible – Depending on the pre-arranged start time
- Cultured, professional, highly qualified, and knowledgeable Guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (south Mumbai)
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drink
CLICK FOR BOOKINGS!!
Some Pictures of the Mumbai By Dawn Tour
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Mumbai by Dawn Tour:
It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothing and shoes suitable for walking. As the tour takes place early in the morning, it can be quite cool, so you may want to bring a light jacket or sweater.
Photography is usually allowed during the tour, but it is recommended that you check with your tour guide to ensure that you are not infringing on any local customs or regulations.
The tour takes place before sunrise, so you may be able to catch a glimpse of the sunrise depending on the timing and the weather conditions.